Category and sub-category
Food & Drink
- Baby Food wet and dry foods, also
baby juices and drinks.
- Baby Milk/Formulae
- Baking Ingredients & Mixes including
all mixes for cakes, bread, pizza base mixes etc., flour, cake toppings/decorations,
colours, breadcrumbs (unless a seasoned coating).
- Bread & Bread Products including
bread loaves and rolls, plain croissants, bagels, tortilla, taco
shells, chilled puff pastry, savoury ready-made pastry cases, large
poppadums (excluding savoury snack positioned poppadums), ready-made
pizza base, etc.
- Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Goods
including Danish pastries, donuts, snack cakes, brownies, toaster
pastries, filled croissants, frozen/chilled/shelf-stable pies, waffles,
pancakes, pastry cases, ice cream cones (without the ice cream)
- Savoury Biscuits/Crackers including
savoury rice cakes, crispbread, cracker/dip combos.
- Sweet Biscuits/Cookies including
sweet rice cakes; and biscuit/dip or spread combinations (only if
the accompaniment is a sweet spread)
- Beer - all beers including
ales, stouts, lagers, etc., including low alcohol and alcohol-free
beers and straight shandy products.
- Cider - all alcoholic ciders including perries.
- Beverage Concentrates & Mixes
all types of concentrates, cordials and mixes for soft drinks,
including liquid and powder forms, plus milkshake mix.
- Carbonated Soft Drinks
- Energy & Sports Drinks
- Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages including
"alcopops" and packaged pre-mixed alcoholic drinks, excluding pre-mixes
that are simply spirit & mixer (see Spirits & Liqueurs).
- Hot Beverages all coffee and tea
products (excluding ready-to-drink/iced varieties), hot chocolate,
cocoa and malted drinks, fruit teas and infusions, tea and coffee
substitutes, chai mixes.
- Other Drinks including still
- RTD Iced Tea & Coffee all liquid/ready-to-drink
coffees, teas and iced teas.
- RTD Juices & Juice Drinks all
ready-to-drink juice-based products, fruit nectars and pure juices.
- Spirits & Liqueurs including
pre-mixed products e.g. gin & tonic.
- Water including flavoured water.
- Wine including sherry, port, madeira
and other fortified wines.
- Cold Cereals any cereal product
which is primarily intended to be eaten cold.
- Hot Cereals any cereal product that
is primarily intended to be eaten hot.
- Chocolate Confectionery including
chocolate bars, countlines, boxed chocolates and chocolate novelties,
chocolate covered fruit, nuts, etc.
- Gum chewing gum and bubble gum.
- Other Confectionery miscellaneous
products including fruit roll-ups and similar.
- Sugar Confectionery including mints,
chews, gums, toffee, etc.
- Butter & Yellow Fats
- Cheese including all types of (savoury)
cheese; also includes biscuit/dip or spread combinations, if the
dip/spread accompaniment is cheese based.
- Milk including flavoured and "white"
milk and milk drinks, milk substitutes e.g. soy milk, etc.
- Cream & Creamers miscellaneous
products including cream, sour cream, buttermilk, coffee creamers,
condensed milk etc.
- Yogurt and Probiotic drinks
including fromage frais and quark, also drinking yogurt.
(Frozen yogurt/yogurt ice cream is classified under Take Home
Ice Cream or Frozen Novelties/Impulse Ice Cream).
Desserts & Ice Cream
- Chilled Desserts including all types
of chilled desserts, chilled custard, fruit compote, excluding yogurt,
fromage frais and quark, which are classified under Yogurt and Probiotic drinks.
- Dessert Toppings including dessert
- Frozen Novelties/Impulse Ice Cream
including popsicles (items on sticks), ice cream sandwiches, other
hand-held products, etc.
- Other Frozen Desserts including
- Shelf-Stable Desserts including
jello, gelatine, apple sauce, shelf stable custard and mixes that
do not need baking and make a dessert (e.g. cheesecake mix, mousse
- Take Home Ice Cream including ice
cream, frozen yogurt, sorbets, etc., sold in tubs, in measures of
pints, quarts and litres.
Fruit & Vegetables
- Fruit all pre-packaged, canned,
fresh and frozen fruit.
- Vegetables all pre-packaged, canned,
fresh and frozen vegetables, including canned baked beans, vegetable
mixes to be used for various dishes (e.g. for making minestrone
soup), excluding potato products (see Side Dishes).
Meals & Meal Centers
- Meal Centers, Pizza & Pies all
pizza, all pies/tarts, flans & quiche; all "centre-of-plate"
meal items, chilli & stew and hand-held products including pockets,
sausage rolls, etc.
- Meal Kits all kits which comprise
components to be assembled to create a complete meal or a complete
course of a meal, including salad kits.
- Prepared Meals all complete (main
course) meals, generally including protein, starch and vegetable.
- Cat Food all types of food, drink
and treats for domestic cats. Excludes non-food pet-related items
(see Pet Products).
- Dog Food all types of food, drink
and treats for domestic dogs. Excludes non-food pet-related items
(see Pet Products).
Processed Fish, Meat & Egg Products
- Eggs & Egg Products all eggs
and processed egg products e.g. prepared omelettes.
- Fish Products all processed fish
products, excluding fish-based prepared meals (see Meals &
- Meat Products all processed meat
products excluding meat-based prepared meals (see Meals &
- Meat Substitutes all processed products
including TVP, soy, Quorn, tofu, etc.
- Poultry Products all processed poultry
products excluding poultry-based prepared meals (see Meals &
Sauces & Seasonings
- Cooking Sauces including pasta sauce,
marinades, gravy, and grilling sauces
- Dressings, Vinegar & Mayonnaise
- Oils including flavoured and plain
- Other Sauces & Seasonings including
- Pickled Condiments including pickles
- Seasonings including pepper, salt,
herbs, etc. plus stock and bouillon cubes.
- Table Sauces including ketchup,
mustard, hot sauce, salsa
- Stuffing, Polenta & Other Side Dishes including stuffing,
polenta and couscous, Yorkshire pudding.
- Pasta all pasta (dry, fresh, frozen,
canned) including filled varieties.
- Potato Products all potato products,
including frozen, chilled and shelf-stable items.
- Rice all rice and rice-based mixes.
- Hors doeuvres/Canapes including
frozen and chilled items which require preparation.
- Meat Snacks including jerky, snack
sausage, pork scratching etc.
- Nuts all types of nut packaged and
positioned as a snack.
- Savoury/Salty Snacks all types of
(ready-to-eat) savoury or salty snacks, including popcorn; also
includes biscuit/dip or spread combinations (but only if the dip/spread
accompaniment is savoury.
- Snack Bars, Snack Mixes & Energy
Bars including energy bars, granola bars, "health" bars, snack
mix, trail mix.
- Includes all types of soup, wet and
dry, hot- and cold-eating.
- Savoury Spreads including dips.
- Sweet Spreads including jam, jelly,
honey, peanut butter, breakfast syrup.
Sweeteners & Sugar
- Includes all types of artificial sweetener.
Excludes honey (see Sweet Spreads).
- Includes all weight-control-oriented
products e.g. slimming aids, body building aids, etc., in tablet,
food or drink form.
- Body Colour Cosmetics body glitter,
- Eye Colour Cosmetics including eyeliner,
eyeshadow, mascara, etc.
- Facial Colour Cosmetics including
foundation, blusher, concealer, etc.
- Lip Colour Cosmetics including lipstick,
lip liner, etc.
- Nail Colour Cosmetics nail varnish/polish,
remover and nail care items such as cuticle serums
- Includes all deodorant and anti-perspirant
products for men and women.
Diapers & Feminine Hygiene
- Feminine Hygiene including towels/napkins,
tampons, pantyliners, intimate soap etc.
- Incontinence Products
- Wipes including baby, travel etc.
- Mens Fragrances
- Unisex Fragrances
- Womens Fragrances
- Hair Styling Products
- Hair Treatments & Colourants
- Shampoo & Conditioner including
2 in 1 products
- First Aid & Other Health Products
including plasters/bandages, personal insect repellents, smoking
cessation lines etc; excludes corn plasters that care for feet (these
are classified under Foot Care).
- Packaged Medications including all
- Vitamins & Dietary Supplements
including capsules, tablets, liquids, tonics, etc.
- Air Care air fresheners & deodorisers
- Dishwashing Products including both
hand and automatic dishwashing products, and dishwasher care products.
Excludes dishwash sponges/brillo pads (these are classified under
- Disposable Plates & Cups.
- Fabric Care including laundry detergents,
laundry additives and fabric bleach (excludes bleaches that are
predominantly for hard surface care); excluding lines that care
for the washing machine (these are classified under Hard Surface
- Hard Surface Care counter cleaners,
anti-bacterial sprays, etc., also including household branded cleaning
wipes and products that care for washing machines.
- Cleaning Equipment including
shoe cleaning products, sponges, dusters, etc.
- Pest Control for household use.
(Personal insect repellents are classified under First Aid &
Other Health Products).
- Toilet Care all products that clean/care
for the toilet, including in-bowl and in-tank fresheners
- Toilet, Kitchen & Facial Tissue
also includes cotton products
- Wraps, Foil & Bags
- Toothpaste and Mouthwash
- Toothbrushes including battery-operated
products, but not electric toothbrushes
- Dental Ancillaries includes dental
gum from dental care companies/brands, but excludes dental care
positioned gums from confectionery companies/brands (these are classified
under Confectionery Gum); also includes dental floss and
denture cleaning products
- Includes all non-food pet items e.g.
grooming products, cat litter.
Shaving & Depilatories
- Depilatory Products
- Shaving Products including razors
and shaving gel/cream for men and women.
- Body Care including hand creams
- Facial Care including lip balm,
facial wipes and tinted moisturisers from skincare companies (excludes
tinted moisturisers from cosmetic companies these are classified
under Cosmetics Facial Colour Cosmetics)
- Foot Care including corn plasters,
medicated foot plasters
- Sun Care including after-sun products
Soap & Bath Products
- Bath Additives body care products
for use in the bath (excluding liquid & bar soaps), including
bath foams, bath salts; excludes bath sponges (these are classified
under Other Household Products)
- Liquid & Bar Soap including
liquid soaps (not shower products) primarily used for hand washing
- Shower Products all body washes
primarily positioned for use in the shower, may also include 2-in-1
hair & body washes
Countries covered by the gnpd are grouped
by (and searchable by) Region, as follows:
- Africa and Middle East (Egypt, Israel,
Saudi Arabia, South Africa)
- Asia-Pacific (Australia, China, Hong
Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines,
Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam)
- Europe (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic,
Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy,
Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland,
- Latin America (Argentina, Brazil, Chile,
Colombia, Guatemala, Mexico)
- North America (Canada, US)
New products are classified according
to "Launch Type":
- New Formulation of an existing
- New Packaging new size or type
or design of packaging for an existing product.
- New Product including totally new brand.
- New Variety/Range Extension i.e.
addition to an existing range.
- Relaunch of an existing product,
sometimes involving a change in packaging/formulation.
For multi-packs of products, the total
weight or volume is entered in the pack size field. Details of package
make-up (e.g. 4 x 50g) will be logged in the description field.
Retail prices shown are typical prices
as recorded at point of sale, or manufacturers suggested selling
Food and drink products are classified
by storage, as follows:
- Chilled items that have to be kept
refrigerated (typically between 0oC/32oF and
approximately 10oC/50oF); this excludes items
that are shelf-stable but which may be sold or stored refrigerated
e.g. carbonated soft drinks.
- Frozen items that have to be kept frozen, below 0oC/32oF.
- Shelf-stable "ambient" products,
i.e. including the bulk of dry groceries
Products Claims / Positioning
a product is classified as having added calcium if it carries an on-pack
claim referring to added or extra calcium; when this is selected Vitamin/Mineral
Fortified is also selected; excludes items that are naturally rich
Added Fiber: a product
is classified as having added fiber if it carries an on-pack claim
referring to added or extra fiber; excludes items that are naturally
rich in fibre (e.g. a breakfast muesli).
All Natural: a product
is classified as "all natural" where it carries a prominent on-pack
claim to that effect, and/or states that it is "made from natural
a product is classified as "anti-bacterial" where it is formulated
with a substance which has the property of destroying or stopping
the growth of bacteria.
with aromatherapy benefits or qualities (e.g. therapeutic candles,
lotions, soaps, oils, etc.)
to products formulated with any botanical or herbal ingredients, and
promoted as such. For example, a mint flavoured toothpaste would not
be flagged "botanical/herbal" as it is not highlighting its botanical/herbal
properties and usually simply just relates to a mint flavour, whereas
a fabric detergent featuring aloe would be flagged as botanical/herbal.
Cobranded: where a product carries
two or more consumer brand names, which may be owned by the same company
or different companies. It is most common where a branded ingredient
or component is included in another product, e.g. Kellogg brand cereals
used in a twin-pot yogurt.
which are specifically claimed to be easy to use, easy to prepare,
easy to cook, etc., or which carry an associated claim (e.g. "ready
in 5 minutes", or "no need to rinse").
marked safe for diabetics
Ethical: a term
which is mainly applied to European products, where the product is
designed to appeal to certain moral or socially acceptable principles,
e.g. which address issues such as employee working conditions, community
development, fair trade (a better deal for Third World suppliers),
the nature of the international trading system and production methods,
animal welfare and environmental sustainability.
Ethnic: a product
is classified as ethnic according to the country or region in which
it is sold, e.g. a Japanese prepared meal would be classified as ethnic
if sold in Europe, but not if sold in Asia.
relates to products which are free from artificial fragrances or perfumes
and drinks which are enhanced in some way, e.g. with added ingredients,
to have a positive, beneficial effect on the body in general, or on
a particular function of the body e.g. the digestion. Also referred
to as nutraceuticals. See also specific reference to e.g. probiotic,
Gluten Free: a
product is classified as Gluten free if it carries an appropriate
mark, symbol or declaration to that effect (including if a pack is labelled
as being suitable for coeliacs).
Halal: a product
is classified as Halal only if it carries an appropriate mark, symbol
or declaration to that effect.
relates to products formulated to contain the fewest possible allergens,
and therefore not likely to cause an allergic reaction. Not flagged
for products that actually treat allergic reactions
Indulgent: a product
which is positioned as a "luxury", an indulgence or a "treat", by
virtue of its ingredients, style of packaging, on-pack claims, etc.
use of a new or novel ingredient, or use of an existing ingredient
in a new category or application.
packs that have new or novel features, designs or materials.
Kosher: a product is classified
as kosher only if it carries an appropriate mark, symbol or declaration
to that effect.
a product is classified as low calorie if it carries an on-pack claim
referring to a low, lower, or reduced calorie content. Products that
are naturally low in calories are not included.
a product is classified as low/no cholesterol if it carries an on-pack
claim referring to a low, lower, or reduced cholesterol content, or
if it is positioned as cholesterol-free. Products that are naturally
low in cholesterol are not included.
Low/No Fat: a product
is classified as low fat if it carries an on-pack claim referring
to a low, lower, or reduced fat content, or if it is fat-free. Products
that are naturally low in fat are not included.
Low Glycemic: a
product is classified as being Low Glycemic only if it carries an
appropriate mark, symbol or declaration to that effect.
a product is classified as low/no sodium if it carries an on-pack
claim referring to a low, lower, or reduced content of sodium or salt,
or if it is positioned as sodium-/salt-free. Products that are naturally
low in sodium are not included.
Low/No Sugar: a
product is classified as reduced/low sugar if it carries an on-pack
claim referring to a low, lower, or reduced sugar content, or if it
is positioned as sugar-free.
Low/No Carb: a product
is classified as low carb if it carries an on-pack claim referring
to a low, lower or reduced carbohydrate content.
a product is classified as microwaveable if it carries a prominent
on-pack claim to that effect.
a product is classified as having no additives/preservatives if it
carries an on-pack claim stating that it is free from additives/preservatives/artificial
a product is classified as having no or low transfat if it carries
an on-pack claim to that effect.
Novel: a product
that is novel or innovative with respect to its purpose, positioning,
packaging or formulation.
Organic: a product
is classified as organic if it carries an on-pack claim to that effect,
i.e. if it is made using ingredients from organic culture, produced
without insecticides, herbicides, growth stimulants, etc. In some
cases, where permitted by local law, a product may be described as
organic which is made largely, but not entirely from organic ingredients.
Biodynamic, Demeter, etc. products are also classified as organic;
"natural" foods are not, unless they are specifically marketed as
pH neutral: also
known as pH balanced. The claim is for skincare, cosmetic and toiletry
products which have a pH level of 5.5, or are marketed as being pH
Refill: packages that are intended
as a refill for an existing product (most likely in non-food)
Seasonal: products that are available
for a limited or seasonal period (including Christmas/Easter lines,
limited edition products, etc.)
UV protection: flagged for non-food
products only which offer protection from ultraviolet rays emitted
from the sun. Products with SPFs (sun protection factors) on their
Vegetarian: a product
is classified as vegetarian if it carries an on-pack claim stating
that it is suitable for vegetarians/vegans, or that it is made entirely
from vegetarian ingredients. Products that are naturally suitable
for vegetarians are not included, unless they make a specific claim
to that effect.
products that carry on-pack claims stating that they are fortified
with vitamins/minerals, or have added vitamins/minerals.
relevant to toiletry and cosmetic products (e.g. oral hygiene, cosmetics,
skincare, soap & bath products) which claim to whiten skin or teeth,
and not related to household whitening products (e.g. fabric detergent,
Age: where appropriate,
products are classified according to age group of target market: Babies
& Toddlers (0-4), Children (5-12), Teenagers (13-17), Young Adults
(18-25), Adults (25-55), Seniors (aged 55+)
Gender: certain products are
classified as being male- or female-oriented, except within sub-categories
where the gender is apparent e.g. Mens Fragrances
Premium/Economy: certain products
are classified as being Premium (i.e. higher than a typical price
point for a product of that type) or Economy (i.e. low priced, budget
items, often everyday "basics" in simple packaging). The Premium/Economy
p ositioning claim is selected according to price points and also
according to how a product is marketed. A high end brand would be
classified as Premium.