Category and sub-category definitions
FOOD & DRINK
- Baby Food wet and dry foods, also
baby juices and drinks.
- Baby Milk/Formulae
- Baking Ingredients & Mixes including
all mixes for cakes, bread, pizza bases, etc., flour, cake toppings/decorations,
colours, breadcrumbs (unless a seasoned coating).
- Bread & Bread Products including
bread loaves and rolls, plain croissants, bagels, tortilla, taco
- Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Goods
including Danish pastries, donuts, snack cakes, brownies, toaster
pastries, filled croissants, frozen/chilled/shelf-stable pies, waffles,
- Savoury Biscuits/Crackers including
savoury rice cakes and cracker/dip combinations.
- Sweet Biscuits/Cookies including
sweet rice cakes.
- Beer & Cider all beers including
ales, stouts, lagers, etc., including low alcohol and alcohol-free
beers; all alcoholic (hard) cider.
- Beverage Concentrates & Mixes
all types of concentrates, cordials and mixes for soft drinks,
including liquid and powder forms, plus milkshake mix.
- Carbonated Soft Drinks
- Energy & Sports Drinks
- Flavoured Alcoholic Beverages including
"alcopops" and packaged pre-mixed alcoholic drinks.
- Hot Beverages all coffee and tea
products (excluding ready-to-drink/iced varieties), hot chocolate,
cocoa and malted drinks, fruit teas and infusions, tea and coffee
substitutes, chai mixes.
- Other Soft Drinks including still
- RTD Iced Tea & Coffee all liquid/ready-to-drink
coffees, teas and iced teas.
- RTD Juices & Juice Drinks all
ready-to-drink juice-based products, fruit nectars and pure juices.
- Spirits & Liqueurs including
pre-mixed products e.g. gin & tonic.
- Water including flavoured water.
- Wine including sherry, port and
other fortified wines.
- Cold Cereals any cereal product
which is primarily intended to be eaten cold.
- Hot Cereals any cereal product which
is primarily intended to be eaten hot.
- Chocolate Confectionery including
chocolate bars, countlines, boxed chocolates and chocolate novelties,
chocolate covered fruit, nuts, etc.
- Gum chewing gum and bubble gum
- Other Confectionery miscellaneous
products including fruit roll-ups and similar.
- Sugar Confectionery including mints,
chews, gums, toffee, etc.
- Butter & Yellow Fats
- Cheese including all types of (savoury)
- Milk including flavoured and "white"
milk and milk drinks, milk substitutes e.g. soy milk, etc.
- Other Dairy Products miscellaneous
products including cream, sour cream, buttermilk, coffee creamers,
- Yogurt including fromage frais and
quark, also drinking yogurt. (Frozen yogurt/yogurt ice cream is
classified under Ice Cream).
DESSERTS & ICE CREAM
- Chilled Desserts including all types
of chilled desserts excluding yogurt, fromage frais and quark, which
are classified under Yogurt.
- Dessert Toppings including dessert
- Ice Cream including frozen yogurt/yogurt
ice cream, frozen sorbet and ice cream gateaux.
- Other Frozen Desserts including
- Shelf-Stable Desserts including
jello, apple sauce, cheesecake mix, etc.
FRUIT & VEGETABLES
- Fruit all canned, fresh and frozen
- Vegetables all canned, fresh and
frozen vegetables excluding potato products (see Side Dishes).
MEALS & MEAL CENTERS
- Meal Centers, Pizza & Pies all
pizza, all pies/tarts, flans & quiche; all "centre-of-plate"
meal items and hand-held products including pockets, sausage rolls,
- Meal Kits all kits which comprise
components to be assembled to create a complete meal or a complete
course of a meal, including salad kits.
- Prepared Meals all complete (main
course) meals, generally including protein, starch and vegetable.
- Includes all types of food, drink
and treats for all types of domestic pet. Excludes non-food pet-related
items (see Pet Products).
PROCESSED FISH, MEAT & EGG PRODUCTS
- Eggs & Egg Products all eggs
and processed egg products e.g. prepared omelettes.
- Fish Products all processed fish
products, excluding fish-based prepared meals (see Meals &
- Meat Products all processed meat
products excluding meat-based prepared meals (see Meals &
- Meat Substitutes all processed products
including TVP, soy, Quorn, tofu, etc.
- Poultry Products all processed poultry
products excluding poultry-based prepared meals (see Meals &
SAUCES & SEASONINGS
- Dressings, Vinegar & Mayonnaise
- Oils including flavoured and plain
- Other Sauces & Seasonings including
- Pickled Condiments including pickles
- Sauces including salsa, gravy, etc.
in wet and dry formats, ketchup, mustard, horseradish, chutney,
- Seasonings including pepper, salt,
herbs, etc. plus stock and bouillon cubes.
- Other Side Dishes including stuffing,
polenta and couscous.
- Pasta all pasta (dry, fresh, frozen,
canned) including filled varieties.
- Potato Products all potato products,
including frozen, chilled and shelf-stable items.
- Rice all rice and rice-based mixes.
- Hors doeuvres/Canapes including
frozen and chilled items which require preparation.
- Meat Snacks including jerky, snack
- Nuts all types of nut packaged and
positioned as a snack.
- Savoury/Salty Snacks all types of
(ready-to-eat) savoury or salty snacks, including popcorn.
- Snack Bars, Snack Mixes & Energy
Bars including energy bars, granola bars, "health" bars,
snack mix, trail mix.
- Includes all types of soup, wet and
dry, hot- and cold-eating.
- Savoury Spreads including dips.
- Sweet Spreads including jam, jelly,
honey, peanut butter, breakfast syrup.
SWEETENERS & SUGAR
- Includes all types of artificial sweetener.
Excludes honey (see Sweet Spreads).
- Includes all weight-control-oriented
products e.g. slimming aids, body building aids, etc., in tablet,
food or drink form.
- Body Colour Cosmetics including
- Eye Colour Cosmetics including eyeliner,
- Facial Colour Cosmetics including
foundation, blusher, concealer
- Lip Colour Cosmetics including lipstick,
- Nail Colour Cosmetics including
nail varnish/polish and remover
- Includes all deodorant and anti-perspirant
products for men and women.
DIAPERS & FEMININE HYGIENE
- Feminine Hygiene including towels/napkins,
tampons, pantyliners, etc.
- Incontinence Products
- Wipes including baby, travel, facial
- Aromatherapy Products excluding
fragrance candles positioned primarily as an air care product.
- Mens Fragrances
- Unisex Fragrances
- Womens Fragrances
- Hair Styling Products
- Hair Treatments & Colourants
- Shampoo & Conditioner including
2 in 1 products
- First Aid & Other Health Products
including plasters/bandages, personal insect repellents, etc.
- Packaged Medications including all
- Vitamins & Dietary Supplements
including capsules, tablets, liquids, tonics, etc.
- Air Care air fresheners & deodorisers
- Dishwashing Products detergents
for hand and machine dishwashing, other dishwasher products, sponges,
Brillo pads, etc.
- Disposable Plates & Cups
- Fabric Care including laundry detergents,
laundry additives and bleach.
- Hard Surface Care counter cleansers,
anti-bacterial sprays, etc.
- Other Household Products including
shoe care products, sponges, dusters, etc.
- Pest Control for household use.
(Personal insect repellents are classified under First Aid &
Other Health Products).
- Toilet Care all cleaners and in-tank/in-bowl
- Toilet, Kitchen & Facial Tissue
also includes cotton products
- Wraps, Foil & Bags
- Toothpaste and Mouthwash
- Toothbrushes including battery-powered
brushes, but not electric
- Dental Ancillaries floss, dental
gums, tongue scrapers, etc.
- Includes all non-food pet items e.g.
grooming products, cat litter.
SHAVING & DEPILATORIES
- Depilatory Products
- Shaving Products including razors
and shaving gel/cream for men and women
- Body Care including hand/nail care
- Facial Care including lip balm
- Foot Care
- Sun Care including after-sun products
SOAP & BATH PRODUCTS
- Liquid & Bar not including body
washes and gels. Includes handsoap and traditional bar soap
- Shower Products body washes and
- Bath Additives bubble bath, bath
salts, bath bombs etc.
Countries covered by the gnpd are grouped
by (and searchable by) Region, as follows:
- Africa and Middle East (Egypt, Israel,
Saudi Arabia, South Africa)
- Asia-Pacific (Australia, China, Hong
Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines,
Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam)
- Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Hungary,
- Latin America (Argentina, Brazil,
Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Venezuela)
- North America (Canada, US)
- Western Europe (Austria, Belgium,
Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands,
Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK)
New products are classified according
to "Launch Type":
- New Formulation of an existing
- New Packaging new size or type
or design of packaging for an existing product.
- New Product including totally
- New Variety/Range Extension
i.e. addition to an existing range.
- Relaunch of an existing product,
sometimes involving a change in packaging/formulation.
For multi-packs of products, the total
weight or volume is entered in the pack size field. Details of package
make-up (e.g. 4 x 50g) will be logged in the description field.
Retail prices shown are typical prices
as recorded at point of sale, or manufacturers suggested selling
price. Price conversions to US Dollars and Euros are calculated at
the rates shown.
Food and drink products are classified
by storage, as follows:
- Chilled items which have to be kept
refrigerated (typically between 0oC/32oF and
approximately 10oC/50oF); this excludes items
which are shelf-stable but which may be sold or stored refrigerated
e.g. carbonated soft drinks.
- Frozen items which have to be kept
frozen, below 0oC/32oF.
- Shelf-stable "ambient"
products, i.e. including the bulk of dry groceries.
Products Claims / Positioning
Added Calcium a product is classified
as having added calcium if it carries an on-pack claim referring to
added or extra calcium.
Added Fiber a product is classified
as having added fiber if it carries an on-pack claim referring to
added or extra fiber.
All Natural a product is classified
as "all natural" where it carries a prominent on-pack claim
to that effect, and/or states that it is "made from natural ingredients",
"free from artificial additives", etc.
Cobranded where a product carries
two or more consumer brand names, which may be owned by the same company
or different companies. It is most common where a branded ingredient
or component is included in another product, e.g. Kellogg brand cereals
used in a twin-pot yogurt.
products which are specifically claimed to be easy to use, easy
to prepare, easy to cook, etc., or which carry an associated claim
(e.g. "ready in 5 minutes", or "no need to rinse").
Ethical a term which is mainly
applied to European products, where the product is
designed to appeal to certain moral or socially acceptable principles,
e.g. which address issues such as employee working conditions, community
development, fair trade (a better deal for Third World suppliers),
the nature of the international trading system and production methods,
animal welfare and environmental sustainability.
Ethnic a product is classified
as ethnic according to the country or region in which it is sold,
e.g. a Japanese prepared meal would be classified as ethnic if sold
in Europe, but not if sold in Asia.
foods and drinks which are enhanced in some way, e.g. with
added ingredients, to have a positive, beneficial effect on the body
in general, or on a particular function of the body e.g. the digestion.
Also referred to as nutraceuticals. See also specific reference to
e.g. probiotic, prebiotic, etc.
a product which is positioned as a "luxury", an indulgence
or a "treat", by virtue of its ingredients, style of packaging,
on-pack claims, etc.
use of a new or novel ingredient, or use of an existing ingredient
in a new category or application.
Innovative Package packs which
have new or novel features, design or materials.
Kosher a product is classified
as kosher only if it carries an appropriate mark, symbol or declaration
to that effect.
Low Calorie a product is classified
as low calorie if it carries an on-pack claim referring to a low,
lower, or reduced calorie content. Products which are naturally low
in calories are not included.
Low Cholesterol a product is
classified as low cholesterol if it carries an on-pack claim referring
to low, lower or reduced cholesterol content, or if it is positioned
as cholesterol-free. Products which are naturally low in cholesterol
are not included.
Low Fat a product is classified
as low fat if it carries an on-pack claim referring to a low, lower,
or reduced fat content, or if it is fat-free. Products which are naturally
low in fat are not included.
Low Sodium a product is classified
as low sodium if it carries an on-pack claim referring to a low, lower,
or reduced content of sodium or salt, or if it is positioned as sodium-/salt-free.
Products which are naturally low in sodium are not included.
Low Sugar a product is classified
as low sugar if it carries an on-pack claim referring to a low, lower,
or reduced sugar content, or if it is positioned as sugar-free.
Microwaveable a product is classified
as microwaveable if it carries a prominent on-pack claim to that effect.
No Additives/Preservatives a
product is classified as having no additives/preservatives if it carries
an on-pack claim stating that it is free from additives/preservatives/artificial
a product which is novel or innovative with respect to its purpose,
positioning, packaging or formulation.
a product is classified as organic if it carries an on-pack claim
to that effect, i.e. if it is made using ingredients from organic
culture, produced without insecticides, herbicides, growth stimulants,
etc. In some cases, where permitted by local law, a product may be
described as organic which is made largely, but not entirely from
organic ingredients. Biodynamic, Demeter, etc. products are also classified
as organic; "natural" foods are not, unless they are specifically
marketed as organic.
Refill packages which are intended
as a refill for an existing product.
Seasonal products which are
available for a limited or seasonal period.
Vegetarian a product is classified
as vegetarian if it carries an on-pack claim stating that it is suitable
for vegetarians/vegans, or that it is made entirely from vegetarian
ingredients. Products which are naturally suitable for vegetarians
are not included, unless they make a specific claim to that effect.
Vitamin/Mineral Fortified products
which carry on-pack claims stating that they are fortified with vitamins/minerals,
or have added vitamins/minerals.
Age where appropriate,
products are classified according to age group of target market: Babies
& Toddlers (0-4), Children (5-12), Teenagers (13-17), Young Adults
(18-25), Adults (25-55), Seniors (aged 55+). Some products may be
described in promotional materials as being targeted at slightly different
age groups to those mentioned in these cases they will be classified
under the closest (most representative) age group.
Gender certain products are
classified as being male- or female-oriented, except within sub-categories
where the gender is apparent e.g. Mens Fragrances.
Price certain products
are classified as being Premium-priced (i.e. higher than a
typical price point for a product of that type), or Economy-priced
(i.e. low priced, budget items, often everyday "basics"
in simple packaging).